10 facts about Chanel you didn't know about
Today, those interlocked Cs of the iconic Chanel logo are recognised the world over, but did you know that Chanel started off as a simple hat boutique in Paris long before it became the leading fashion house we associate it with today? Read on for 10 little known facts about the brand that changed women’s fashion as we know it.
1. Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel began her life as a seamstress with hopes of becoming a world famous music hall performer. It was only in 1909 that she opened her first hat boutique, paving the way for her yet to come future success.
2. The iconic Chanel No. 5 perfume scent was a chance selection. Coco Chanel chose the fifth scent out of a range of samples and instantly feel in love with it, hence it’s name, No. 5.
3. Chanel was a forward thinker and revolutionary for her time. She despised the overly decorative features found in women’s clothing, did away with corsets and was the first designer to put women in trousers.
Image via Pinterest
4. Chanel was inspired by mens fashion and the wearability of fabrics used in mens clothing, which is why she later incorporated tweed and jersey into their women’s clothing range, two staple fabrics the fashion house in now famously recognised for.
5. Not only was Chanel inspired by fabrics used in men’s clothing, her interest in men’s fashion led to the creation of the first ever suit for women.
6. No one is quite sure how Coco Chanel came up with the iconic interlocking Cs logo. Some say it was influenced by stained glass geometric patterns found at the Chapel of Aubazine, a monastery where Chanel spent most of her childhood, others say it is a combination of her initials and those of her lover’s Boy Capel.
7. Chanel released her first range of lipsticks in 1924, which still remains the most popular lipstick brand on the market to this day.
Image via Pinterest
8. The Paris based Chanel boutique closed down during World War II. After speculation that Coco Chanel was having an affair with a Nazi commander, her business fell into decline. Of course, this didn’t stop her from making a comeback once the war was over!
9. Chanel employed Karl Lagerfeld as chief designer in 1983 on an annual salary of $1 million. His transition from Chloé would transform his career and furthering the Chanel brand as the leading fashion house to this day.
10. Lagerfeld is famously known for his out-of-this-world fashion shows, including his Chanel-themed art museum and grocery store inspired runways for 2014, both of which have won Lagerfeld considerable attention as all eyes wait in anticipation for his next runway creation.
If you’ve ready our previous Chanel perfume feature article, you’ll already know that this French brand is just as famous for its cosmetics range as it is for its clothing and perfume lines. Read on for our top 5 Chanel cosmetics products that you simply must own! Visit www.beautyfresh.com for more beauty picks!
Chanel Rouge Coco Lipstick
This classic lipstick in a range of shades of red which was recently given a revamp is every girls best friend. From a bold red, to plums and nudes, there’s a shade of Rouge Coco for each and every one of you.
Chanel Gloss Volume Plumping Lip Gloss
For the days when lipstick just won’t cut it, add a bit of shine to your life with a touch of gloss. This particular lip gloss is packed full of lip-friendly goodies, including vitamin E and a blend of botanical oils to leave your lips feeling silky smooth and equally as kissable. Wear your Chanel Gloss Volume Plumping lip gloss over your lipstick or on its own for an instantly plumper pout.
Chanel Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadow
Inspired by the threads used in Coco Chanel’s signature tweed fabrics, this range of eyeshadows offers endless possibilities when it comes to making sure your eyes pop. Included in the palette are four shades of shadows, with two medium tones to colour and contour, a darker shadow for an intense smokey effect and a lighter shade for highlighting. The compact shape and size of this eyeshadow palette makes it perfect to pop in your handbag for touch-ups throughout the day. Luckily, we’ve got ten combinations for you to try out for yourself!
Chanel Le Blanc Light Revealing Whitening Fluid Foundation SPF 30
This ultra lightweight foundation contains a unique ingredient, pearl protein extract, which helps to correct dark spots and even out the skin tone. Not only that, it’s packed full of skin brightening ingredients that gives the skin added luminosity and a healthy complexion. It’s especially beneficial for dry skin types who are in need of a moisture boost. For a silky smooth finish opt for Le Blanc Light Revealing Whitening Fluid Foundation every time.
Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush
Another Chanel cult classic, the Joues Contraste Powder Blush will add a touch of colour to your cheeks and radiance to your complexion. Its baked powder formula gives a silky soft finish with long-lasting wear that will enhance your complexion with a radiant glow effect. Apply your Joues Contraste Powder Blush high on the cheekbone for an instant facelift effect. We have six colours for you to choose from!
Coco Chanel images via Pinterest
#Chanel #Makeup #beauty #beautyfresh #beautyfreshfave #cocochanel